Quick Things You Need To Know:
- The following posts are the uncut & unedited interview responses from our Maker interviews.
- I created the Maker Spotlight series to highlight & boost #OwnVoices publishers, authors, and illustrators and folks who are really kicking ass and creating something we need.
- Makers cannot offer to pay, bribe, or offer free books in exchange for a spotlight. I am super picky about who we boost. Maker Spotlights are not available as sponsored posts.
- This is the template response I send to Makers who ask for me to review their books or ask to be featured in a maker spotlight. The process goes: I try to scare them away > They decide it’s worth the risk and send me a book > I like the book > I screen the book with my kids > We all love it so much, I reach out to the maker. Almost nobody makes it this far.
- If we both decide BFL & the maker are a good fit, I send out exploratory questions for folks to answer via email.
- I edit the text for clarity, optimize it for SEO, and adjust the language to make it accessible for folks with cognitive disabilities. Then I send the edited version to the interviewee so they can approve the draft. I make edits, then publish it for the public.
Uncut Interview Responses
- Anastasia Higginbotham: Not My Idea
- Brontez Purnell: The Nightlife of Jacuzzi Gaskett
- Lei Wiley Mydske: Neurodivergent Narwhals
- Lisa Koehler: The People You May See
- Navjot Kaur: Saffron Press
- Sailaja N. Joshi: Bharat Babies
Public Book Collections (Accessible to all)
- Find the posts available to the public in the Maker Spotlight series here.