Main page for book collections about Indigenous issues
Quick Things You Need To Know:
- I’m using these pages to collect the research and analysis I’ve created over time researching Indigenous-centered kidlit
- While it’s our job here to include, acknowledge, and learn about Indigenous culture, history, and issues, this is way outside my lane.
- In kidlit specific to the Indigenous experience within what is currently known as the US, I defer to Deb Reese of American Indians In Children’s Literature, who is an #OwnVoices Nambe Pueblo Indigenous scholar of kidlit, and she’s been at this longer than me, with lived experience and formal training and stuff. Her humor and writing is a joy, but Deb’s website is dense and hard to flow through. So I haven’t even scratched the surface in reading it.
- Another fantastic resource is Beverly Slapin & Co.’s Des Colores – the Raza Experience in Children’s Literature, which focuses on Chicanx/Latinx kidlit.
- Another website that is trustworthy but I haven’t had a chance to read is Oyate, which I think hasn’t been updated since around 2012.
- The following booklists are where I’m parking my notes, but without the experience and knowledge of the people above they don’t count for much. My thoughts and opinions should take a back-seat and you should defer to #OwnVoices Indigenous critics.
- When possible, I cross reference my research to double-check that it’s not problematic and gain #OwnVoices insight with the above websites, along with Doris Searle’s reference book, A Broken Flute. Which also is dense and impossible to read cover-to-cover, but is full of humor, sarcasm, and is quite fun to read.
Booklists in progress
In Progress (patreon-only)
- Indigenous Stories For older kids & adults
- Residential Schools
- First Nations & Indigenous American Animal & Trickster Stories
- Modern First Nations & Indigenous North American Families
- Inuit Culture
Public Book Collections (Accessible to all)
- Find public collections about Indigenous topics right… oh hey I’m just now realizing I need to make a keyword category for that in wordpress. In a rush – I’ll take care of that later. For now, just click the search icon in BFL and search for “Indigenous.”