Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Genocide Memorial Day
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Armenian Genocide Memorial Day / Martyr’s Day
When is it?
- April 24th on the gregorian calendar, in memory of the victims of persecution that began on April 24, 1915.
- Read The Greedy Sparrow (ages 4-8)
What is the armenian genocide? (1915-1917) (ages 8+)
- What is compliance?
- What is social pressure? What is peer pressure?
- What is the principle of reciprocation?
- How can we check in with our bodies to see if we’re feeling social pressure?
- How do we respond when a stranger asks for help?
- When should we help? When should we decline?
- What is genocide?
- Check out this guide from the United Nations as a framework: “acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group” / “Killing members of the group;Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.”
- Why is it important that we acknowledge & name genocide?
- How do we prevent another genocide?
- Discuss what you learn along the way about the Armenian Genocide, and how it’s similar to historical events your own family history or current circumstances.
- If none comes to mind, the fact that you’re reading this in English means your modern lifestyle was created and sustained in part by England’s colonialism & genocide against Indigenous people around the world.
Parenting is Praxis:
- Check out this fantastic study & activity guide companion to The Greedy Sparrow, created by the author, Lucine Kasbarian.
- Discuss the current efforts of:
- Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- The Chinese government targeting Uyghur Muslims and attempted control of Taiwan.
- Israel’s apartheid and annexation of Palestine.
- Holocaust deniers to erase the history and modern impact of on people targeted by the Holocaust, and their decendants.
- Talk about what values your family needs to embrace now to prevent future violence and resist modern genocidal regimes.
- Write an Amnesty International Letter to advocate alongside targets of genocide.
More Resources to Dig Deeper:
- What was the Armenian Genocide (for teens & adults)
- Holocaust Remembrance Day