Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Since we’re a contribute-what-you can community, I try to fill in the gaps with affiliate links. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Stonewall Riots & LGBTQiA2S+ Pride Month
When is it?
- June 28th is the Anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion
- LGBTQiA2S+ Pride month lasts through June
- With older kids (maybe 8+): The History of Queer-Coding
- With kids 5+ Kapaemahu
- Five Fun Facts about the Stonewall Rebellion
- What does the ‘2S’ in LGBTQiA2S stand for?
- Queer Kid Stuff
- Notice rainbow-washing in ads and shopping aisles.
Talk about which companies and organizations support LGBTQiA2S+ people year-round, and which stick rainbows on things once a year to sell more rubbish.
- Discuss the able/thin/whitewashing of LGBTQiA2S+ history and heroes.
Notice which books and shows are okay with portraying the history of Pride, but only when focusing on white, thin, able-bodied, etc. heroes.
- Discuss LGBTQiA2S+ history before Stonewall.
How has settler-colonialism narrowed our understanding of gender and sexuality? Is Pride something new, or is it something we’re reclaiming?
Take Action (Adults):
- Identify and resist anti-trans legislation in your state
- Start a rainbow club
- Adults: Sign up for free virtual training: Bystander Intervention to stop LGBTQ+ Harassment via Right To Be.
Dig deeper with these resources:
- LGBTQiA2S+ History for Kids
- Dismantling Cissexism In Kidlit – Maker Spotlight with Maya & Matthew of Reflection Press
- Queer Rainbow Children’s Books By Indigenous, Black & Brown Authors
- 6 Kids Books For Trans Day of Resilience