Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
What does it mean to be an accomplice or ally?
Anti-Racism For Beginners 201
Allyship is not just for white folks, we work on this all year, for all targeted identities.
Are your kids equipped with the tools they need to be upstanders, accomplices, and supportive friends? Do they know the difference between saviorism and solidarity? Do they know when to listen, when to pass the mic, and when to weaponize unearned privilege to dismantle the kyriarchy?
Quick reference from our word bank:
- An ally is a person who believes you deserve equality.
- An accomplice is a person who actively works alongside you to end injustice and harm against you.
- A conspirator is someone you work together with to end unfair rules that harm both of you.
Watch & Take Action: Become a Super Ally with the Five ‘D’s of bystander intervention
For Adults: Check out: Right to Be’s Free Bystander Intervention Training
Resources to dig deeper:
- Kids Books on how to model Solidarity as Allies & Accomplices
- Kids Books About Collective Action (and even more stories of Collective Action)
- Children’s Books for Upstanders: Civil Disobedience & Disrupting Injustice
- Captivating Kids Stories to Recognize Privilege
- Stop Lying To Your Kids – Teaching Kids About White Supremacy
- Books For The Next Generation Of Kind & Brilliant Leaders
- Stories of Nonviolent Resistance For Kids
- Kids Books About Restorative Justice
- Read Intersectionallies if you must, but if you do, discuss with your kids how even those of us who strive for intersectional representation can be blatantly ageist. Why is everyone all gushing over this book? Kids don’t deserve this. Set a higher bar!
- Actually you know what’s a way better book to discuss the challenges of being multiply-targeted? Sign Up Here. (That’s not a command, it’s the name of the book.)
- Unpacking the white savior with the Neverending story and how not to be an ally with Neverending story II (#FamilyMovieNight fun for Luminary+ Members)
- Free Bystander Intervention Training via Right to Be
- Raising Luminaries Podcast: How to Make Minority Friends: A Collector’s Guide
- Raising Luminaries Podcast: The Problem With Online Allyship